Progress

This page will contain the latest updates on our progress.

4/29/2013

  • We’re on the home stretch! The fabrication is 99% done and the control system is functioning. We have a little more than a week left before our presentation. By next week we hope to have some baseline tuning done as well as tidying up the wiring. We’ll post some videos as soon as we can. For now, here are some photos:




4/20/2013

  • It’s been a while since we’ve posted an update. We have finalized our CAD design, secured funding for the project, ordered (and received) all of the parts, and completed most of the fabrication. Here are some photos:









1/16/2013

  • Now that we have the general layout of the components figured out, we’ve started working on the full-scale motion platform. Here’s a little preview of our initial design concept:

12/28/2012

  • After a stressful semester and a relaxing holiday, we’re finally back at it. The next step is to figure out the ergonomics for the cockpit. To do this, we mocked up all the components in Inventor to get an idea of where everything should sit:
  • With a basic idea of how things need to fit, we designed a mockup rig to help us nail down the ideal placement so that the cockpit will fit the majority of drivers:
  • Where each component mounts to the side panels, we cut a grid of slots for adjustability using the CNC router at TechShop. Using this rig we will be able to finalize the cockpit dimensions and start designing the frame to hold everything. Here’s how it turned out:

11/7/2012

  • After finishing the kinematics equations and obtaining a closed-form solution, we have integrated the prototype with our software interface to test the realtime operation of the platform during gameplay, here’s a rough example of how it works:

10/24/2012

  • Designed (using AutoDesk Inventor) and built (at the TechShop) a small-scale Arduino-powered prototype to experiment with and demonstrate the kinematic equations of motion. We have not yet implemented a full inverse kinematic solution, but we do have the prototype running on an iterative algorithm that is based on the kinematics. The image below is a rendering of the CAD model that we created in Inventor.
  • Began initial CAD modeling of the full-scale components in Inventor and initial calculations for the full-scale platform design.
  • Developed the software interface between the racing simulation PC game and the Arduino so that we can demonstrate the platform movement with our prototype using real-time game data. There is a quite a bit of work to do on refining the data but we should have it working smoothly in the next few weeks. The video below is a quick example of data being sent from the simulation game to the Arduino.